Ten Fab 40s / 50s inspired sundresses for Summer!
Watching the new Mad Men tonight, I felt a little bit let down at the lack of lovely frocks. Don’t get me wrong, I love the 60s looks – Jane’s amazing maxi and Trudy’s killer swirly Pucci-esque number – but I miss the earlier episodes, with the wiggle dresses, fifties full skirts and Betty’s amazing sundresses and shades. For me, it doesn’t get better than the 40s and 50s when it comes to clothing, so I’ve put together a list of ten fab fifties-inspires Summer dresses for my fellow retro fans. So what if Sterling Cooper has moved on, it doesn’t mean I have to. I’ll be snapping up at least one of these dresses in the next few months…
Multi placement print dress £85 Oasis
– The crazy pottery style print of this dress is like something from a 1950s film. Difficult to pull off, but beautiful if you have the guts!
Spring Fairy dress in periwinkle blue £55 (was £95) Anami and Janine
– This label is a new discovery of mine, and I’m completely bowled over by their pretty, quirky prints and 1940s inspired dress cuts.
Green rose with bird print swing dress £30 Lady V London
– A massive bargain that comes in a limited run so it’s a really special find. This style comes in loads of other fabrics, too.
Louche Lachelle pleated floral dress £59 Joy
– If you can bear wearing the same frock as Holly Willoughby, this pretty pleated dress is a lovely modern take on a retro classic.
Fifties frock with full skirt in rose print £85 Tara Starlet
– Fab cabbage rose style print and full fifties skirt on this lovely day dress from retro-inspired brand Tara Starlet
Sailboat printed blue prom dress £154 Lowie
– I love the nautical touches of this sailboat printed dress. It’s pricey, yes, but it’s also very pretty!
Pink floral print dress £30 Purple at Dorothy Perkins
– A modern take on a 50s riviera look, I love the idea of teaming this with light coloured wedges and a basket bag!
Conversational print dress £45 South at Very
– The birdcage print on this baby is really gorgeous, and it goes up to a size 24. Score!
Cezanne side lace dress £74.99 Fever
– No rundown of pretty dresses is complete without a Fever dress. They just deliver every time!
Lila floral dress with off-the-shoulder detail £50 Uttam Boutique at Yumi
– If you’re a size 16, I suggest you snap this up quickly before someone else does. That’s the only size left of this cute 50s-meets-90s frock.